Is System Information Handling different in 5G?

My friend: Hi Soumya, I have a question from one of my friends who is working in 5G network with SA mode.

Me: Go ahead, please.

My friend: He told me about a strange problem as when he was checking the SIB messages from DT logs, he can’t see some SIBs.

Me: He can’t see SIB2 till SIB9, right?

My friend (staring at me): How did you know? I didn’t tell you yet.

Me: It is logic as in 5G, system information is divided into three parts:
Minimum System Information (MSI) which is called MIB: always present and sent periodically.
Remaining Minimum System Information (RMSI) which is called SIB1: always present and sent periodically.
Other System Information (OSI) which contains all the remaining SIBs from SIB2 till SIB9: which is optionally present and broadcast periodically or sent on demand based on request from UE or triggered by the network.
So, I guessed that OSI is configured to be on demand and so your friend didn’t notice as maybe neither the UE nor the network triggered it. Please ask him to check the network configuration.

My friend: I informed him and he told me that it was already set to be on demand. Thanks a lot.

Me: You are most welcomed.

Please press the like and share buttons to make it clear for everyone.
5G_System_Information

No comments:

Post a Comment

Network Slicing in 5G

Today, we’ll discuss about the network slicing in 5G core. So, slicing is not a new concept in 5G, it was there in 4G as well but with limi...